Saturday, August 25, 2007

I got a job!

Yes, this is the first post in quite a while updating details in my personal life. Sorry, my life is usually less interesting (IMHO) than the random insights I have to share. Anyway, on to the details!

Oddly enough, it started with Ron Paul. Well, more accurately the local meet-up group, to which I decided to go. On the spur of the moment decision, I called a long-time friend of mine, actually he lived next door when I lived in the dorms during my first year in college. Anyway, we usually clash on politics (in an amusing, respectful way) and I was right in my guess that he'd get a kick out of a room full of libertarianish conspiracy nuts like me.

Anyway, before the meeting started, he mentioned that the school he was working for was looking for people to help out disadvantaged junior high kids. We asked each other questions about how well I worked with youngins, and he said he'd talk with the principal about getting me an interview.

So the next morning he gives me a call, and tells me to be there by noon. I show up, and the principal is impressed by my mathmatics background (I can tutor Calculus) and my previous instructional experience (being a black belt). So I pretty much get the job on the spot.

So now I'm a teacher's aide for Junior High students at a charter school. I help with Math, Science, Social Studies, and eventually English too. I really feel like I'm making a difference, and they were totally okay with my leaving for the Peace Corps in May, in fact thats when the school year ends.

So I've got this cool job now, helping the disadvantaged and earning somewhat decent money, with no regrets leaving for the Peace Corps. I am quite pleased.

Now transportation is an issue, since the bus lines don't connect my new job to my current location, so my new friend and I are considering getting an appartment....

No comments: